← Back to the News Archive
New Book Celebrates The Beachcombers’ 40th Anniversary
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 8:41pm
The Beachcombers -- Canada’s longest-running dramatic TV production -- is celebrating its fortieth anniversary this year. The show aired on CBC TV from 1972 to 1990 and was loved by millions of fans who tuned in on Sunday nights to follow the heartwarming hijinx of a cast of characters that included Nick (Bruno Gerussi), Relic (Robert Clothier), Jesse (Pat John), Molly (Rae Brown) and Constable John Constable (Jackson Davies).
Series co-creator Marc Strange (1941-2012), and one of its stars, Jackson Davies, teamed up to write Bruno and the Beach: The Beachcombers at 40. Generously illustrated with photos and memorabilia, the book features behind-the-scenes stories from cast and crew, Beachcombers trivia, and profiles of some of its stars.
Bruno and the Beach will be launched in at a series of events this fall:
- Gibsons: Saturday, November 17 from 2-4pm. Book signing and meet and greet at Molly's Reach cafe (647 School Road)
- Vancouver: Friday, November 23 at 5:30pm. Talk, presentation and book signing at CBC’s Studio 700 (700 Hamilton Street). Doors open at 5:00pm and admission is free. With special guest appearances from other members of The Beachcombers cast and crew!
- Gibsons: Sunday, November 25 from 2-4pm. Talk, presentation and book signing at Gibsons & District Public Library (470 South Fletcher Road) . Ever. .
- Vancouver: Friday, December 7 at 5pm. Book signing at the CBC Shop (700 Hamilton Street)
- Gibsons: Saturday, December 15 from 1:00-3:00 pm. Book signing at Woods Showcase (Sunnycrest Mall, 900 Gibsons Way)
- Victoria: Sunday, December 16 at 1pm. Book signing at Bolen Books (Hillside Mall, #111-1644 Hillside Avenue)
Harbour Publishing and the Sunshine Coast Bed & Breakfast, Cottage Owners Association are also celebrating the launch of the book with a province-wide contest to “Win a Beachcombers Prize Package,” which includes a $350 gift certificate for accommodation (valid at over 100 participating B&Bs on the Sunshine Coast), a gift certificate to Molly’s Reach cafe and a $100 BC Ferries Experience Card. Ballots are available at events and at participating retailers around BC. A full list is available here.